8.30.2011

How Has Marriage Changed Me?


Many people think that it's not a good idea to get married young because you're still changing. I believe that marriage changes you. No matter what age that you are when you enter into marriage, it will transform the person that you are.

I have been married only 4 months, and already being married has changed my life.

5 Ways Marriage Has Changed Me:

Sense of Humour: If you know my husband, you know that he is a goofball. Just look at the picture above. We love to have fun, and being married to this man has made me realize that life is meant to be lived with a sense of humour. We live our lives surrounded by laughter, and being married to this funnyman has given me a better perspective on life.

Mrs. Clean: I must admit, I was pretty spoiled as a child, teen, and young adult. My mom kept a clean house, and I never really had "chores". I would help out a bit, but not nearly as much as I should have. Having my own home has changed me. Instead of sitting on my butt, and having a clean home, I've had to work for my clean home. On weekends, I usually go to my mom's house and help her clean. I consider it payback for all the years that I didn't have a "chore".

Patience: Patience is not a virtue that comes easily to me. Being married has definitely taught me patience. I've been learning to put my husband before myself. This doesn't come easily for me, and I fail. But, I know that marriage is changing me to become a more patient person.

Committed: Marriage is the ultimate commitment. If my husband and I live until we're both 80, we'll be married nearly 60 years. That's a very long commitment! Being married to my husband has taught me to be committed in other areas. My daily devotion life is drastically different today than it was 5 months ago. Even little things like my eating habits, exercise routine, and writing this blog show that I am able to commit to different things. I have never been very good at carrying anything out, but it seems that marriage has changed me to a more commitment-oriented person.

Communication: During our courtship, our communication was quite good. However, marriage and dating are two totally different things. I have never been very good at communicating (other than with Daniel while we were dating). God has certainly been changing us to be better communicators. We are also learning new ways to communicate and problem solve in our marriage. We both believe that good communication is a key factor to a happy and successful marriage.

There are tons of other big and small ways that I have changed since becoming a married woman. At the same time, I'm still the same person I was before I was married. I'm still incredibly shy until I get to know someone quite well (and this often translates to me being snobbish). I'm still grumpy if I skip a meal (only now I have to make all my meals). I am still passionate and have the same interests. I'm still me, and I'm only interested in being changed for HIS Glory.

[oh yeah, marriage has changed this. We no longer have to cuddle with a bible between us. Or with Daniel's sister's supervision. YAY!]

1 comment:

  1. Brianna!!! You are my inspiration! Now Ive finished reading your whole blog ahaha :P addicted to it, I knooow!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, your words often brighten my day! Please sign your name if you are posting as an anonymous user. Otherwise, your comment may be removed.

 

This Rookie Wife | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012